Novel Remineralizing agents in tooth repair A Review Section Review Article
A new area of dentistry is represented by remineralizing agents. The aim of modern dentistry is to manage non-cavitated caries lesions non-invasively through remineralization in an attempt to prevent disease progression and improve aesthetics, strength, and functionThey can be categorised as fluoride agents, agents made of calcium and phosphate, agents made of herbs, or agents in mixtures. Remineralizing agents can be administered orally by dentifrices, mouthwashes, lozenges, or chewing gum. Fluoride use has been effective in preventing dental caries, but more innovative strategies and exciting new caries prevention products need to be developed and tested. This article provides an overview of various newer reminerlizing agents their role and mechanism of action on tooth.
Keywords: caries , remineralizing agents, fluoride, dentistry
- Hegde S, Roma M, Shetty D. Non-fluoridated remineralization agents in dentistry. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2016 Aug 1;8(8):884.
- Pande P, Rana V, Srivastava N, Kaushik N. A compendium on remineralizing agents in dentistry.
- Shaheen M, Aswin S, Thomas AJ. Recent advances in enamel and dentin remineralization. International Journal of Oral Care and Research. 2021 Apr 1;9(2):63.
- Naveena P, Nagarathana C, Sakunthala BK. Remineralizing agent—Then and now—An update. Dentistry. 2014;4(9):1-5.
- Mittal R, Relhan N, Tangri T. Remineralizing agents: A comprehensive review. International Journal of Clinical Preventive Dentistry. 2017;13(1):1-4.
- Joshi SR, Pendyala G, Vidyasagar M, Padmawar N, Nara S, Joshi P. Remineralizing agents in dentistry: a review. Int J Appl Dent Sci. 2018;4(2):198-9.
- Featherstone JD, Fontana M, Wolff M. Novel anticaries and remineralization agents: future research needs. Journal of dental research. 2018 Feb;97(2):125-7.
- Edelstein BL. The dental caries pandemic and disparities problem. BMC Oral Health 2006;6(Suppl 1):S2.
- Arifa MK, Ephraim R, Rajamani T. Recent Advances in Dental Hard Tissue Remineralization: A Review of Literature. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2019; 12(2):139–144.
- Pradeep K, Prasanna KR. Remineralizing agents in the non- invasive treatment of early carious lesions. Int J Dent Case Reports. 2011; 1(2):73-84.
- Al-Khateeb S, Exterkate R, Angmar-Månsson B, Ten Cate JM (2000) Effect of acid-etching on remineralization of enamel white spot lesions. Acta Odontol Scand 58: 31-36.
- Alkilzy M, Santamaria RM, Schmoeckel J, Splieth CH. 2018. Treatment of carious lesions using self-assembling peptides. Adv Dent Res. 29(1):42–47.
- Amaechi BT, van Loveren C. Fluorides and non-fluoride remineralization systems. Monogr Oral Sci 2013;23:15-26.
- Zhao J, Liu Y, et al. Amorphous calcium phosphate and its application in dentistry chemistry. Cent J 2011;5:2-7.
- Benjamin S, Sharma R, Thomas SS, Nainan MT. Grape seed extract as a potential remineralizing agent: A comparative in vitro study. J Contemp Dent Pract 2012;13:425-30.
- Goswami M, Saha S, Chaitra TR. Latest developments in nonfluoridated remineralizing technologies. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2012;30(1):2-6.
- Jyoti V T, Alkesh G, Chayan J, G Das, Shreya S, Gaurav V . Recent Advancements In Treatment of dental caries. ejbps, 2015;2(2):231- 244.
- Somasundaram P, Vimala N, Mandke LG. Protective potential of casein phosphopeptide amorphous calcium phosphate containing paste on enamel surfaces. J Conserv Dent 2013;16: 152-6.
- Patil N, Choudhari S, Kulkarni S, Joshi SR. Comparative evaluation of remineralizing potential of three agents on artificially demineralized human enamel: an in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2013;16:116-20.
- Vashisht R, Indira R, Ramachandran S, Kumar A, Srinivasan MR. Role of casein phosphopeptide amorphous calcium phosphate in remineralization of white spot lesions and inhibition of Streptococcus mutans? J Conserv Dent 2013;16:342-6.
- Mehta R, Nandlal B, Prashanth S. Comparative evaluation of remineralization potential of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate and casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate fluoride on artificial enamel white spot lesion: an in vitro light fluorescence study. Indian J Dent Res 2013;24: 681-9
- Balakrishnan A, Jonathan R, Benin P, Kuumar A. Evaluation to determine the caries remineralization potential of three dentifrices: an in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2013;16:375-9